Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kindle or iPad or Tab or B&N Nook?

Hmm, it is 11pm and I have not go to bed. Just would like to write this before I forgot. If not this will never be written if I do not do it today. Arghh, still pending on the writings of Koh Lipe and Europe sharing.


Back to the topic. The consumer tablet market has been getting more and more competitive. I personally feel it is good, more choices. If you love to read, shall you buy an ebook reader or a table? If you google "kindle vs ipad", there are a lot of opinions on the web.


In short,
buy Kindle or B&N Nook IF:


  1. you are a serious text-based book reader 
  2. you are looking for device mobility where it is light and small to carry around 
  3. looking for e-INK technologies device. There are claims this technology is less harmful to eye. Well, when I google about that, there are actually some opinion saying backlight and e-ink make no difference. However, I personally felt e-ink is more comfortable for longer reading period. 
  4. don't mind the book is in black and white (text-based book is usually black and white anyway)
buy ipad or tab IF:
  1. beside reading, you hope to do something else, e.g. movie, game and surfing.
  2. beside text-based book, you hope to read magazine and newsletter with color as well.
  3. don't really bother about the size and weight. Nah, you won't take the device out, you usually use it only at home.
  4. you just like the user experience of the finger work when using ipad or tab. (That is the coolest thing in my younger colleagues world)
  5. it's trend to use tablet, why bother the black and white reader?
I have chosen an eBook reader - Kindle Touch. 


A side story. When I travel MAS from KL to Penang, I accidentally left my Kindle in the front pocket. I am so happy that MAS worker reported it to Lost and Found department and I got back my unit after visit their office by bringing along my boarding pass and IC. Thumb up to MAS! Just wonder if it was Air Asia, will it be the same? 
Lesson learnt. Always check the front pocket before leave the seat.千金难买一回头

2 comments:

CmdrCASh said...

What about in-betweens like the Kindle Fire?

Meanwhile, good to hear that MAS returned your Kindle!

mk said...

From internet comments, go for ipad/tab instead of Fire.